Do I have to cancel my mandatory health insurance before moving to a new insurance policy?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I want to change to a cheaper health insurance policy. I already sent in the application for my new insurance. Now I am not sure if I have to write my current insurance company to cancel my policy. Do I need to cancel my old health insurance myself before getting new mandatory health insurance?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In order to terminate your existing Swiss compulsory health insurance policy, your current health insurance provider must receive a signed notice form by November 30. If the insurance provider does not receive notice on time, you will continue to be insured by your existing insurance policy during the new year and you will not be able to change to another policy.

When you sign up for a new insurance policy, many (but not all) insurance providers will send you notice forms addressed to your current insurer, and all you have to do is sign them and post them. As a general rule, notice forms must be sent a minimum of 5 working days ahead of the deadline and you should keep proof (a postal receipt, for example) that the form was sent on time. Sending the form via registered mail is recommended.

If there is very little time until the November 30 deadline, consider visiting a branch office or agency of your current insurer in person and have them provide you with a receipt of your notice form. This will serve as proof that you turned in your notice on time.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Terminating a Swiss compulsory health insurance policy