Do I have to pay for burglary damages or should my Swiss liability insurance pay for it?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Our house was broker into while we were on vacation. The hoodlums left lots of damages to the building, like a broken door and damages to the floor, etc. Now my landlord wants us to pay for these damages which I feel is kind of unfair. He said to claim it from our liability insurance - can we do that?

Thanks

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

You are only liable for damages which you inflict. In the case of a burglary, damages are inflicted by a third party (the burglars). For that reason, your personal liability insurance normally will not cover the damages.

Your household insurance covers damage or loss to your personal property, but not to the personal property of your landlord.

After a burglary, your landlord would have to cover the cost of damage to the building itself (unless the burglars can be identified and held liable). Landlords are often covered against burglary damages by their building's insurance policy.

Best regards from Moneyguru