Do I have to pay for my child's education?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

What are parents in Switzerland required to contribute towards their children's education? Where I come from, if a person wants to go to college, they have to pay for it themselves. Of course their parents can finance them if they want to. Is it similar in Switzerland or would I be expected to pay for my child's education?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss law requires parents to contribute financially towards their child's intiital education - including tertiary education.

There is a great deal of room for interpretation as to what is included in an inititial education, but as a rule of thumb this includes education necessary to become qualified for a pre-determined profession which is clearly planned out by a child ahead of time.

This may include tertiary education following an apprenticeship, internship, or even work experience when this work experience is clearly planned out as part of the overall initial education ahead of time (as is often the case with vocational matriculation).

In the case of college, parents are generally required to contribute financially until their child completes a baccalaureate. In the case of a university education, the requirement normally extends to the completion of a master's degree.

For their part, children are required to mainatin communication with their parents and to make attempts to contribute towards their own education. They are normally also required to stick to the educational plan which they decided on before commencing tertiary education.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Insurance and banking comparisons for students