Do I need permission from my landlord to keep pets?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My boyfriend and I are big animal lovers and always had a house full of pets. Since moving to Switzerland we haven't gotten any pets because at several apartments we looked at we were told that we couldn't have pets and we don't want to risk getting kicked out considering how difficult it was to get our apartment.

I got a friend to translate and our contract doesn't say anything about no pets. What are the general rules in this case?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

A good first step is to review your rental agreement to find out whether or not it allows you to keep housepets.

Even if your contract does not forbid pets, you must still inform your landlord about your getting a dog, cat or other pet. If you already own a pet when you apply for the rental home, you should declare this on the application.

Keeping small and relatively quiet and harmless pets like hamsters or birds normally doesn't require a declaration. If you want to keep potentially dangerous animals like poisonous snakes, dogs of fighting breeds or posionous spiders, you will need to get the express permission of your landlord.

Note: Your household and liability insurance provider may require that you declare pets when you apply for a policy or inform them when you get a pet so they can adjust your coverage.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
8 Ways to Up Your Chances of Being Approved for a Home Rental in Switzerland
Interactive pet insurance comparison