Do I Need Special Insurance for Bicycles in Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Do bicycle owners need special insurance in Switzerland? I spent some time in Switzerland many years ago and seem to recall bicycles needing to be licensed and have special insurance. Since returning to Switzerland I haven't seen those miniature license plates on bicycles anymore. Do I still need to get special insurance for my bicycle? How does this work?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Liability for bicycles is now covered by Swiss personal liability insurance. Taking out special bicycle liability insurance and attaching the corresponding insurance plaque to your bicycle is no longer required.

E-bikes with less than 500 watts of power capable of powered speeds of up to 25 kilometers per hour are also insured by standard personal liability insurance. E-bikes with more than 500 watts must be insured separately.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Bicycle Insurance in Switzerland: Useful Tips