Do I need to hire a cleaning service when moving out of apartment in Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Is it normal to pay for a cleaning service when moving out of an apartment in Switzerland? My landlord told me that I need to hire a cleaning service, but I don't really see the need to spend all that money when I can easily clean up the place myself. Do I have to pay for a cleaning service?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

While your rental agreement may require you to clean your rented home when you move out (check if this is indeed the case), it cannot specify who should handle this cleaning. You can choose whether you want to clean your home yourself or hire a cleaning service.

Furthermore, your rental agreement cannot oblige you to perform cleaning tasks which can only be performed by a qualified professional.

If your landlord is not content with the way you cleaned the rental home, they must inform you about this and request that you finish the job within a certain time frame. They can only hire a cleaning service and charge you for it if you do not complete the cleaning as per the specifications in the rental agreement within the given time frame.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Guide to subletting a rental home
Rental deposit insurance comparison
8 ways to up your chances of being approved for a home rental