Do I need to pay for my leased car while it is being repaired?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

One of my leased cars has serious electronic and mechanical issues which have kept it in the garage for two weeks so far this month.

Can I withhold half-a-months worth of lease payments (or more if it takes much longer) for the time during which I can't use the car? I don't like to pay for services not delivered.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Whether or not you have to make lease payments while your leased card is being repaired depends on the exact terms and conditions of your lease as found in your lease agreement.

As a general rule, lease agreements do not normally release you from your obligation to make lease payments while the leased car is being repaired. However, you may be able to get a reduction or waiver from your lease provider - especially when the car is out of order for long periods of time.

Regardless of what your agreement says, you can explain your situation to the lease provider and ask for a waiver or dicount. If they are not helpful, it may be worth getting legal advice. In any case, be sure to make your payments on time to avoid negative ZEK entries.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Car leasing: The costs explained
Car leasing calculator