Does car insurance cover accidents from speeding?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My son is a bit of a speed devil and often oversteps the limits when driving. Before I continue allowing him to drive our car, I want to know if the insurance would still pay the costs of an accident if it is caused by speeding.

Thanks for your help with this.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In Switzerland, each accident which results from driving above legal speed limits is judged on a case-by-case basis by both insurance providers and law enforcement authorities.

The "Via Sicura" regulations, implemented in 2015, not only allow but even oblige insurance providers to pass part of the cost of accidents on to drivers when there is clear evidence of speeding. Your financial situation and debts influence the amount of financial liability you bear.

Beacuse each case is reviewed individually, there is no way to guarantee that you are financially protected against the consequences of speeding ahead of an accident. The only real solution is to stick to legal speed limits.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss car insurance comparison