Does insurance cover car theft with contactless locking systems?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My car uses the Keyless-Go system. Recently I have read a lot of articles about how easy it is to hack this contactless locking system. This got me wondering whether the insurance would pay if the car were stolen. If the system is so easy to hack, it would be pretty tough to prove that I am not liable. Has anyone had experience with this kind of thing?

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Answers
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit2/22/18
  • Beiträge103

It seems to be an issue. Unfortunately, it does not seem that many steps are being taken to improve security. It's likely just a matter of time before some clever thieves find a hack.

I don't think there should be any problem as far as liability goes because there is no secure solution, so you cannot likely be held liable. The insurance should pay. Of course this would depend on the circumstances surrounding the theft and the type of insurance you have.

Have a nice evening.