Does liability insurance cover the cost of damages when I move out of my home in Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameGareththegreat
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge19

We plan on moving out of our apartment after the school year and are worried about the cost of damages caused by our kids and dog (scratches on the parquet, broken kitchen cabinets, collapsed curtain rods). I am pretty sure the landlords will hand us some pretty nasty bills when we move out. Can we get our liability insurance to cover the cost of repairs or will we have to pay out of our own pocket?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Damages to property belonging to a third party are covered by personal liability insurance. It also covers damage which you accidentally inflict on your landlords property. In Switzerland this insurance often comes bundled with household insurance (similar to renters insurance).

As a general rule, you should report incidents to your insurance company promptly as they occur rather than waiting until you move out your rental home.

Note that liability insurance covers accidental damages only. Damages caused by wear and tear are not normally covered.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Personal liability insurance comparison
Household insurance comparison