Does my Swiss health insurance cover me when I travel?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Can anyone tell me whether or not my Swiss health insurance covers medical costs outside of Switzerland like it does when I am in Switzerland? I would have a lot more peace of mind when on vacation if I knew that any medical expenses would be covered.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss compulsory health insurance covers the cost of unplanned medical treatment abroad up to a limit equal to double the cost of equivalent treatment in your canton of residence. The may seem like a lot, but if you need serious medical care in countries with extremely expensive healthcare (like the U.S. and Japan), it may still not be enough to cover the costs.

Basic Swiss health insurance also does not cover the cost of ambulance transportation or repatriation to Switzerland for medical care. Getting an additional supplementary health insurance policy can bridge the gap in coverage. You can get more information in our guide to health insurance for travelers.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Medical care outside of Switzerland: What is covered?
Overview of Swiss compulsory health insurance coverage
Unbiased travel insurance comparison
Unbiased health insurance comparison
Unbiased outpatient insurance comparison
Unbiased hospital insurance comparison