Does my Swiss health insurance replace my salary if I have an accident?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I got a Swiss health insurance policy as required and I chose to include accident insurance. A friend told me that in Switzerland, accident insurance pays 80% of your salary if you have an accident and can't work. Is that correct?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

It is important to make a difference between the two main categories of accident insurance used in Switzerland:

1. Occupational accident insurance: Employees obtain this insurance through their Swiss employer. This accident insurance covers medical expenses without a deductible or coinsurance. It also covers loss of income by paying out a benefit equal to 80% of your salary while you are unable to work. If you are employed, you are automatically covered against accidents which occur on the job. If you work more than 8 hours per week, you are also insured against accidents which occur outside of work hours.

2. Health insurance accident insurance: This insurance can be added as a rider on your compulsory health insurance policy. It covers medical expenses, but your health insurance policy's deductible and coinsurance apply. It does not cover loss of income. If you are self-employed, unemployed or are employed less than 8 hours per week, you will normally have to use this accident insurance.

Specialized, private accident insurance which provides coverage for both medical expenses and loss of income is available from many Swiss insurers. This provides better coverage for self-employed or unemployed individuals than the accident insurance rider on health insurance policies, but premiums are higher.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Compulsory health insurance comparison
Interim accident insurance explained