Fee for withdrawing euros from a Swiss euro account

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I recently opened a euro account at a Swiss bank in order to deposit and withdraw euros without exchange fees. I was very surprised when I withdrew euros from my euro account and was charged nearly 20 francs for the withdrawal! What in the world would I pay a fee for? Do all Swiss banks charge fees to withdraw euros from a euro account?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Most major Swiss banks charge a fee for euro withdrawals from their own euro accounts. Many banks even charge you a fee when you deposit euros into your euro account.

UBS, for example, charges a fee equal to 2% of the euro deposits or withdrawals at the till for amounts below the equivalent of CHF 1000 and 1% above that amount. A 1% fee is charged for withdrawing euros from your UBS euro account at a UBS ATM.

The Zürcher Kantonalbank (ZKB) charges a fee equal to 0.75% of euro deposits into or withdrawals out of a ZKB euro account, making it somewhat more affordable. The Aargauische Kantonalbank does not charge a fee when you deposit euros into its euro account, but it does charge a fee equal to 1% of euro withdrawals from your account.

These fees partially negate the benefit of using a euro account at a Swiss bank. However, this type of account still works out cheaper if you handle a large amount of transactions in euros. That is because in euros the fees for depositing or withdrawing euros from a euro account are still lower than the combined costs (foreign transaction fee plus exchange spread) of depositing euros into and withdrawing them from a regular Swiss franc account.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Private account comparison
Guide to exchanging foreign currency
Using Swiss credit cards abroad