First loss coverage for homeowners insurance in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Can I get homeowners insurance in Switzerland on which the primary hazard (water damage in particular) is insured on a first loss basis? In other words can I insure against that hazard for less than the building's value without risking losing my insurance coverage because of underinsurance?

Thanks for your help

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

Most cantons in Switzerland - with the exception of "GUSTAVO" cantons - operate cantonal buildings insurance (homeowners insurance) schemes (you can find out more in this guide to buildings insurance in Switzerland). In these cantons, homeowners are required to take out this basic, compulsory building insurance from the cantonal insurance scheme.

However, not all hazards are covered by basic buildings insurance. For example, while flood damage is covered, water damage due to broken pipes or leaks normally is not covered.

Hazards which are covered by your cantonal buildings insurance cannot usually be covered on a first loss basis.

If you have optional, supplementary buildings insurance or if you live in a canton which does not have compulsory buildings insurance, then first loss insurance may be an option. There are private Swiss insurance companies which provide first loss policies as an option for buildings insurance.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
First loss policies explained
Buildings insurance in Switzerland