Getting health insurance after rejection

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi,

My application for a specific health insurance policy was turned down.

Can I still apply for a policy at another insurance company? How doesa rejection affect my chances of being accepted by other insurance companies? Is my credit affected?

I want insurance for medical expenses while traveling abroad, repatriation to Switzerland and ambulance transportation.

Thanks for your help with this

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

You have every right to apply for health insurance from other insurance providers. Honesty is key here - be upfront about your health condition in every application. You may be accepted by a different insurer, especially if you are prepared to pay higher premiums.

You can use the moneyland.ch supplemental insurance comparison to compare premiums and coverage.

But before you apply for supplementary health insurance from other insurers, take a good hard look at the coverage which you already get from your current policies.

Basic, compulsory Swiss health insurance already covers medical treatment abroad in the case of medical emergencies. The accident insurance you receive from your employer may also cover accidents abroad to some extent. Ask your employer for a copy of the policy if you do not already have one.

Repatriation is covered in part (50% up to a maximum annual benefit of 500 Swiss francs) by your compulsory health insurance policy. Your travel insurance policies and the travel insurance you get with some credit cards provide coverage for rescue operations and sometimes include coverage for medical expenses. Rega provides medical evacuation and repatriation to Switzerland to its members at no additional cost when its own aircraft are used. You may also get some form of travel insurance for ambulance transportation or repatriation from your auto club membership.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Emergency medical transportation insurance coverage explained