Glass breakage insurance in Switzerland - do I need it?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am about to complete our Swiss household and liability insurance application and noticed that there is an option for "glass breakage" insurance. Seeing that half our apartment is made of glass, this got me curious. Can you tell me if this insurance is useful and what it covers? Would it cover a broken window or glass door, for example? What about glass furniture?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

Glass breakage insurance - which generally comes as a optional rider on your Swiss household insurance policy - covers glass items which you own, like your own glass furniture or glass ornaments.

This insurance does not cover glass items which belong to your landlord, such as windows, glass doors and kitchen or bathroom furnishings. These items are covered by your liability insurance (when you break them) or by your landlord's structural glass insurance (if they break due to other causes).

You can find out more in our guide to glass insurance.

Best regards from Moneyguru