Guranteed returns credit card benefit

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

When looking over my credit card benefits I noticed that my card gives me guaranteed returns when I use it to shop. Is this a useful benefit? How does it help me?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Some Swiss credit cards allow you to return unwanted purchases paid for with the card if the merchant from which you purchased the item does not let you return it. This is referred to as "guaranteed returns" or "return insurance".

The way this works is that instead of returning the item to the merchant, you return it to the credit card issuer or to a third-party partner. You may need to provide proof that the merchant refused to accept a return.

Just as with returns to a store, goods must be returned in a like-new condition in their original packaging.

Some Swiss credit cards which provide this benefit are the Platinum Card from American Express and the Credit Suisse Bonviva American Express Platinum (available with the Bonviva Platinum package) and the Bonviva Visa Gold and Bonviva World MasterCard Gold cards (available with the Bonviva Gold package). All of these cards allow you to return purchases worth CHF 60 or more within 90 days for a refund of up to CHF 1000, if the purchase was charged to your card.

You can use the "Insurance: return protection" sort tool in the moneyland.ch credit card comparison to sort Swiss credit cards based on the return protection benefits they offer.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Credit card insurance benefits explained