How can I claim Swiss unemployment insurance?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have been working in Switzerland for a few years now and just got laid off. How can I claim unemployment insurance?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

A good first step is to go to your local town hall or municipal seat and ask them which unemployment offices you are eligible to work with. Once you apply for unemployment benefits at a specific unemployment office, you must work with that office for the duration of your unemployment benefit period.

Once you have settled on an unemployment office, you must visit the office and fill out a claim requesting unemployment benefits.

Documents which are required for the processing of your application include a copy of your policy (unemployment insurance registration) and statements of employment. You will also need to submit a PD U1 form if you are a citizen of a European Union of European Free Trade Association member country.

In addition to the basic benefit claim, you must also complete a form listing basic information about you as the policyholder and a form confirming any possible additional sources of income.

You need to file your claim within 3 months from the time you become eligible.

Best regards from Moneyguru