How can I protect my bitcoin?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I plan to buy some bitcoin in hopes of selling later when the price goes up. What steps should I take to protect my bitcoin after I buy it?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

If you have a large amount of bitcoin, consider storing it on a fully-offline computer or device to protect it from cyberthieves. If you plan to use bitcoin for purchases, hold small amounts in the bitcoin wallet you carry around with you (the phone app, for example). That way, if you lose your wallet or make an accidental transaction, you do not lose large amounts.

You will also want to make a backup of your wallet to avoid losing it if your computer or device is damaged. If you plan to buy large amounts of bitcoin, consider purchasing a hardware-based bitcoin wallet.

Storing your bitcoin keys offline and separately from your wallet will help prevent your keys being found and used to access your wallet. A safe or a safe deposit box can help protect your bitcoings from theft or damage.

Best regards from Moneyguru