How does unpaid maternity leave in Switzerland affect social security?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My employer is ok with me taking unpaid maternity leave on top of my paid maternity leave entitlements. My main concern is how unpaid leave will affect my social security, insurances and other employee benefits. Can you offer any advice?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

While you continue to enjoy all your employee benefits during paid maternity leave, this does not apply to unpaid leave. Accident insurance coverage remains in place for 31 days from the time you stop earning a salary. You can take out interim accident insurance to bridge the gap until you start working again. If you are not married and your unpaid maternity leave lasts longer than 3 months out of the same calendar year, you will have to register as unemployed at the social security office until you begin working again. You may have to close gaps in your old-age insurance by making additional contributions after your maternity leave.

Best regards from Moneyguru