How long does Swiss accident insurance cover my lost income?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I just broke my leg in a cycling accident and have had to fill out an accident insurance claim for the first time. One question I have is this: How long will I receive money to cover for the salary I am missing out on? Do I get this indefinitely? What if my leg doesn't heal well and I can't go back to work for many months?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

If injuries resulting from an accident prevent you from meeting your employment obligations - either in full or in part - for more than 3 days, you can claim loss-of-income benefits equal to as much as 80% of your forfeited salary from your employer's accident insurance provider.

You continue receiving income replacement benefits until you are medically capable of reassuming your employment obligations. The amount of money you can receive depends on the degree to which your injury prevents you from working. The maximum benefit you can claim - when you are 100% incaple of working - is the equivalent of 80% of your insured salary.

If an accident results in your becoming disabled (at least 10% disability), you become eligible to receive a disability pension. This pension replaces the loss-of-income benefit, and is also equal to as much as 80% of your insured salary (depending on your level of disability). If you become entitled to a disability pension from social security, your accident insurance provider will pay a benefit equal to the difference between your social security pension and 90% of your insured salary. You receive a disabiliy pension for as long as you remain disabled (or until you die).

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interim accident insurance explained