How Often Can I Change My Swiss Health Insurance?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

After moving to Switzerland in January I got a health insurance to comply with the law. At the time I thought that there was just one government health insurance with the same price for everyone so I got the first one I found online. After reading articles and looking at the comparisons on moneyland, I realised that I am paying way too much for health insurance (around 400 francs per month!). Can I end this insurance and get another one right away, as long as I always have health insurance? Or when can I next change to another insurance company?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

If you have a standard-model compulsory health insurance policy with the lowest possible deductible (adult: 300 francs, child: 0 francs), you can terminate the policy at the end of June by giving notice to your insurance provider by the end of March (3-month notice period). If you change health insurance policies mid-year, the new policy must have the lowest (300-franc) deductible as well. However, you are free to take out a policy based on a managed-care model. You can find more information in the moneyland.ch guide to changing compulsory health insurance policies mid-year.

If you have a standard-model policy with a deductible other than the lowest possible deductible, if you have a policy based on a managed-care model or if you would like to change to a policy with a deductible other than the lowest possible deductible, you can only make the change at the end of December. In this case, you must give notice to your insurance provider by the end of November. You can find more information in the moneyland.ch guide to terminating a compulsory health insurance policy.

You can find the most affordable compulsory health insurance policy for your specific needs and begin the application process using the interactive compulsory health insurance comparison.

Best regards from Moneyguru