I Bumped My Husband's Car - Will Our Insurance Pay?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.
  • BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142


I made a wrong move when backing out of our driveway and hit my husband's car. The damage is pretty serious. Can we file an insurance claim? Both cars are insured by the same Swiss insurance. We have full casco insurance.

  • BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4017

Hi there,

Liability car insurance policies generally exclude liability for damage to property belonging to members of your own household.

However, some Swiss liability car insurance policies provide a limited amount of coverage for self-inflicted damages (German: Eigenschäden, French: Propres dommages). This is the case with policies from Baloise and TCS which include the self-inflicted damages rider (up to 5000 Swiss francs coverage for self-inflicted damages per year).

Note: This rider adds 30 - 40 Swiss francs to your annual premium.

If you have a policy which includes this coverage, then you can go ahead and file a claim. If not, you will have to take the loss yourself.

More on this topic:
Swiss car insurance comparison