Income loss insurance on my Swiss health insurance policy?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

When reviewing the breakdown of my health insurance bill, I noticed that part of the premiums i pay covers loss of income insurance. What does this insurance cover?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Insurance companies offer loss-of-income insurance as a rider with compulsory health insurance policies. Anyone residing in Switzerland has the right to take out this insurance and cannot be rejected. Insurance companies must charge the same premiums to all policyholders.

The disadvantage of this insurance is that the benefits are very low and premiums are relatively high for the coverage you get. If you are not employed and do not earn an income, this insurance will not benefit you at all.

Getting a separate loss-of-income insurance or getting this coverage as part of supplementary health insurance - if you can - makes more financial sense because benefits cover most or all of your lost income and premiums are relatively low.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Supplementary health insurance comparison