Is health insurance accident coverage obligatory for self-employed people in Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Good day,

I have been at constant odds with my health insurance provider and prefer to ask a neutral source rather than the health insurance company.

I have been self-employed since 1995 and run my own sole proprietorship. Until I switched to my current health insurance (in 2016), I always used the maximum deductible of 2500 francs and did not include accident insurance coverage.

One year after switching health insurance providers, my insurer began to insist that I either prove that I have accident insurance or pay an added premium for the accident coverage they provide.

From what I understand, self-employed individuals are not required to take out accident insurance, but can choose to bear the risk themselves.

How can my health insurance provider justify their opinion? I am registered as self-employed at the social security desk and I presented the confirming documents to my health insurance, without success. The health insurance company insists that I have to have accdient insurance - either from them or another insurer.

I would be very grateful for feedback about this.

Kind regards

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

All residents of Switzerland are required to take out accident insurance coverage. If you do not receive accident insurance through an employer - or voluntarily take out employment-based accident insurance if you are self-employed - you must add accident insurance coverage to your compulsory health insurance policy.

Health insurance providers have an obligation to ensure that their policyholders are either covered by employment-based accident insurance, or have accident insurance coverage added to their health insurance policy.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Compulsory health insurance comparison
Becoming Self-Employed in Switzerland: Financial Considerations