Is the cost of renting a car after a write-off covered by Swiss car insurance?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My car was totaled in an accident but I need a car for my work. The only solution I can see is to rent a car until the insurance claim is settled and I have the money to buy a new car.

The question is, does my Swiss car insurance cover the costs of renting a car after an accident?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

When your car is severely damaged in an accident and you are not at fault, the offending driver's compulsory Swiss liability car insurance covers the cost of getting a temporary vehicle - such as a rental car. Typically, costs are covered for up to 10 days from the time of the accident.

However, you must prove that you have a genuine need for a car (you live far from public transportation, you use the car to commute to work, etc.) in order to get the costs of temporarily using a car covered.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interactive car insurance comparison