Liability in apartment houses

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I own an apartment in a 5-apartment house. The other apartment owners have guests (and theri cars) over all the time and strangers also pass through the open garden or even play on the playground. I don't have issues with that, but I want to know who would be liable for damages or injuries which occur on the property. Would all owners or their liability insurances pay equally?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

As a general rule, Swiss personal liability insurance policies do not cover liability for injuries to third parties which is shared between mutliple homeowners, as is the case with apartment houses.

Taking out joint building liability insurance is recommended for apartment house co-owners. This insurance covers liability collectively for all of a property's owners.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Buildings insurance explained
What is a building renovation fund
Co-ownership shares explained