Maximum ATM withdrawal Africa

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I will be travelling to Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa mong other countries as part of an Africa tour. I plan to withdraw money at ATMs instead of carrying all my money with me in one lot. My bank charges for each withdrawal I make outside of Switzerland using my debit card, so I want to make as few withdrawals as possible. How much can I withdraw in one shot in African countries. Any info on this?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Automated teller machines (ATMs) in most African countries have relatively low withdrawal limits. Typically withdrawals are limited to the equivalent of between CHF 100 and CHF 200. If you have to withdraw large amounts of money, your card fees and ATM fees can add up quickly.

Alternatives include transferring money to your destination in installments using a wire transfer service and using checks to draw cash from your Swiss bank account. However, in most cases these options work out more expensive than making multiple ATM withdrawals.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Cash Withdrawals: A Simple Guide
Making Payments and Cash Withdrawals Outside of Switzerland
Swiss Credit Cards: Foreign Transaction Fees
Foreign Currency: Getting the Best Rates
10 Ways to Get Cheaper Flights
Going On Vacation: The Checklist