My Visiting Godchild Damaged the Neighbors Car. Does My Swiss Personal Liability Insurance Cover This?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My godchild who is visiting with me for the summer put a deep scratch on the bumper of my neighbor’s car while riding her scooter. The neighbor asked me to fill out an insurance claim with my liability insurance, but I don’t imagine my insurance would cover the damage since she is not my own child? Or am I wrong?

My godchild’s parents do not live in Switzerland and do not have personal liability insurance (I asked them).

The damage could be as high as several thousand francs if the bumper is replaced instead of panel beaten.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Not all Swiss personal liability insurance policies cover liability to third-parties resulting from damages by third-party children in their temporary care. Personal liability insurance policies which definitely provide this coverage include those from Groupe Mutuel, Helvetia, CSS, Mobiliar and Zurich.

Check the terms and conditions attached to your personal liability insurance policy to determine whether you are covered. If you find the terms and conditions difficult to understand, consider contacting your insurance provider to explain your situation and request a clear confirmation (ideally in writing) that you are covered - or not.

Best regards from Moneyguru