Notice periods for 3a savings accounts

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

The interest paid by my bank has been going down for the past few years and now I want out. When I told the bank representative that I wanted to move my 3a savings to another bank, they told me that I would have to wait several months before the transfer can be made. That means another couple of months of practically no interest. What is with that?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Many Swiss banks require that you give notice ahead of terminating a 3a retirement savings account. The notice period ranges from 31 days (Raiffeisen) to 3 months (Zuger Kantonalbank, Aargauische Kantonalbank, Banca Popolare di Sondrio and more) or even 6 months (St.Galler Kantonalbank, Schaffhauser Kantonalbank and more).

Some cantonal banks - like the St.Galler Kantonalbank and the Zuger Kantonalbank - waive this notice period when you transfer to a 3a account offered by a different cantonal bank.

Many other banks, including Credit Suisse, Migros Bank, Postfinance, UBS and the Zürcher Kantonalbank, do not require you to give notice ahead of closing your 3a accounts.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interactive 3a retirement savings account comparison