Opening a bank account

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameAnna
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit2/8/16
  • Beiträge2

Looking for some advice, as a foreign student what would I need to open a bank account? I'm assuming I'll need my passport, but would I also need to show a residence permit?  

Are there any student accounts that someone could recommend? I know in some countries you have to pay to have a bank account, is this also the case in Switzerland?

Thanks, 

Anna

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In order to open a Swiss bank account you will normally have to provide proof of residence in Switzerland (your residence permit, for example).

Not all Swiss banks allow temporary residents to open a bank account. The moneyland.ch guide to Swiss bank accounts for foreign residents will point you in the right direction.

To find the best deal on student accounts, just tick the "Yes" box next to the question "Are you currently studying" in the unbiased private account comparison on moneyland.ch.

Best regards from Moneyguru