Outdoor decor blown off balcony - am I liable?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Recently, a strong wind blew a couple items off my balcony and I found them scattered over the parking spaces below. Luckily there were no cars parked there, but I want to know whether I would be held liable for damages if any did happen in the future, or if my liability insurance would cover for me.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Ensuring that outdoor decor is secured against anticipated storms and windstorms is part of your obligation to perform due dilligence. If failure to properly fasten items kept on your balcony or in your garden results in damages to other people's property, your personal liability insurance may not cover the cost.

Your personal liability insurance will step in if a storm of extraordinary magnitude results in the damage of third-party property caused by the displacement of properly secured items.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Personal liability insurance comparison