Paid sick leave during probation period

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

A Swiss company is employing me on a probational basis, after which I hopefully will stay on with them. My health is not great and I am wondering whether I can count on getting paid sick leave during my probational period. Is this possible or do I have to forego my salary for days I take off sick?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss law does not require employers to offer paid sick leave to employees during their trial period. However, many Swiss employers have collective paid sick leave insurance which covers all employees collectively.

Whether this insurance coverage extends to trial employees depends on the terms and conditions of your employer's insurance policy. Some insurers do cover paid sick leave for employees on their trial period, others limit coverage for employees on their trial period to a shorter number of days (21 days, for example). Some insurers do not pay out sick leave compensation for employees who are fired during their trial period. Other insurers provide the same coverage for trial employees as they do for all other covered employees.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss health insurance comparison
Swiss life insurance comparison