Rental charges for internet and cable

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I pay a charge for internet and cable along with my rent. Since I do all my online stuff and also watch video on my phone, I don't see the need for either of those connections. Do I have to keep paying for them?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

If you do not use phone and cable TV connections, you can send a writen communication to your landlord informing them that you would like to have the connections cancelled. You should also send a copy of this communication to the phone and cable service providers.

If the cost of these services is included in a flat fee for supplemental costs, your rental agreement might have to be adapted to reflect the change. Because of this, you may have to wait until the next contract termination opportunity to have the contract changed. Depending on your rental agreement, you may be able to terminate your current contract at any time (normally following three months notice), or you may only be able to give notice every 3 months, 6 months or even just once a year.

If supplemental costs are charged based on usage rather than as a flat fee listed on your rental agreement, the change can normally be made immediately in keeping with the service provider's terms and conditions.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
8 Ways to Up Your Chances of Being Approved for a Home Rental in Switzerland
Subletting Your Rental Home in Switzerland: 10 Guidelines