Social media insurance

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am a big social media user and can't imagine life without it. But I have gotten a bit scared recently by some things I read about people being sued for crazy amounts of money or losing their jobs because of stuff they posted on social media. Is there any insurance I can get which covers any costs or losses from social media use? I would have a lot more peace of mind if I knew I could post or share whatever I want without risking life and limb.

Any ideas?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In Switzerland, personal insults which can potentially damage a person or entity's reputation are punishable by law. The fact that insults can be very subjective means that there is a large gey area open to litigation. Insults - whether intentional or unintentional - are common on social media and are subject to similar legal conditions as insults communicated by other means. The digital nature of social media makes it easy to collect evidence of insults or slander.

Insurance providers will not normally cover the costs of lawsuits which result from intentional illicit acts - such as posting insulting content on social media. If you post objectionable content, liability rests with you. The same applies when you post copyrighted content which you are not authorized to publish.

If you do not post illicit content and simply want to protect yourself from the cost of legal conflicts resulting from content posted by other users, getting legal protection insurance could make sense for you. The "Internet law" filter in the legal protection insurance comparison on moneyland.ch makes it easy to find insurance policies which cover Internet related cases.

Best regards from Moneyguru