Swiss bank account for unregistered world traveler

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Good day,

In two months I will be deregistering in Switzerland because I will be traveling the world for 2-4 years. I just found out that neither Migros Bank, Credit Suisse or Postfinance will let me hold a bank account without my having a fixed place of residence. I am clueless as to how to get around this issue. I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you very much.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Many major Swiss banks require accountholders to maintain a registered address in order to keep their bank account. Some banks require that you are registered in Switzerland, while others accept addresses abroad when your residence is verified (by the Swiss embassy, for example).

However, a number of banks (particularly many cantonal banks) let you keep your account after leaving Switzerland by granting a power of attorney to a friend or family member in Switzerland. This can normally be done at any branch office. This person serves as a point of contact in Switzerland, and their address is listed on your account. You can choose exactly if and how the person can access your account when you create the power of attorney.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Leaving Switzerland? 7 Important Financial Questions Answered
Swiss Bank Fees For Non-Resident Customers Explained
Cross-Border Workers: Which Swiss Bank Should You Use?
Swiss Bank Accounts For Foreigners