Swiss health insurance during an extended stay abroad

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

What would happen if I were to move outside of Switzerland for several years for my career? Would I be able to keep my Swiss health insurance? Would I need special international health insurance?

I'd appreciate solid information on this topic.

Thanks

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

You cannot normally keep your Swiss compulsory health insurance when you move outside of Switzerland.

However, if you work for a Swiss company or a Swiss government agency while abroad, you may be able to keep your Swiss health insurance for up to 6 years after relocating.

You can also keep your obligatory coverage after you leave Switzerland until you actually settle in another country. If your career involves changing your place of residence very often, you may be able to keep your Swiss health insurance until you actually live in one country for 120 days or more.

It is important to note that Swiss health insurance (both compulsory and supplementary) provides very limited coverage for medical care outside of Switzerland. In most cases, only medical emergencies are covered. So even if you can keep your Swiss health insurance while living abroad, medical expenses you incurr outside of Switzerland will only covered under specific circumstances. You can learn more in this guide to Swiss health insurance coverage for treatment abroad.

If you want to continue to be insured by a Swiss insurance provider and enjoy a similar level of coverage in your country of residence to what you get from your Swiss health insurance in Switzerland, you could consider taking out an international health insurance policy from a Swiss insurance company.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Health insurance for Swiss abroad
Swiss international health insurance compared
Health insurance for expats living in Switzerland
Leaving Switzerland: Financial question answered