Swiss liability insurance when living separately

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi people,

I will be moving out of my parents place and am wondering if my parent's Swiss liability will still cover me after I move into my own joint. I also wonder whether my stuff will still be covered by my parent's household insurance.

I'd be glad for any help you can give!

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Personal liability insurance generally covers an individual or a family rather than a specific property. However, you are required to live with your family at least part-time in order to remain covered by the family policy. You also need to remain unemployed and single. If you move into your own place permanently, get a job or start a family, you will have to get your own personal liability insurance policy.

Household insurance is usually limited to a specific property - in this case your family's residence. However, if the household insurance policy includes coverage for simple theft away from home, your things will still be covered against theft outside of your family's residence.

From the sound of it, you are permanently moving into your own home. If that is the case, you should take out your own household and liability insurance policies to ensure optimum financial protection.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Personal liability insurance comparison
Household insurance comparison