Swiss loans for Swiss living abroad

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Are there any Swiss banks which give loans to Swiss living outside of Switzerland? If so, which bank would you recommend? I would prefer to get a loan from a Swiss bank because it is difficult to get a loan from a local bank as a foreigner in the country I live in.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings.

Unfortunately, Swiss lenders generally give loans to residents of Switzerland only. Some also give loans to Liechtenstein residents.

Even cross-border workers who work in Switzerland but live abroad are not normally eligible for loans from Swiss lenders.

Some banks provide specialized loans (not regular personal loans) designed for particular needs. You can approach banks directly and explain your situation.

All Swiss personal loan providers are included in the personal loan comparison on moneyland.ch.

Best regards from Moneyguru

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi Moneyguru,

Is it possible to leave Switzerland if I am servicing a Swiss loan? Could I keep making loan repayments while living abroad or would I have to repay the loan in full before leaving?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss lenders generally require that you are a resident of Switzerland at the time that you apply for a loan.

It is possible to leave Switzerland in spite of having debts, as debt does not limit your freedom to emigrate. However, whether or not you can maintain a loan after emigrating will depend on the terms and conditions of your loan agreement.

In any case, it is crucial that you continue to meet your repayments on time. Failing to meet your debt repayment obligations can result in a debt collection case being opened by your creditor. Your creditor may be able to seize your assets in Switzerland (including salaries from Swiss employers or pensions from Swiss pension funds) to repay your debt, in keeping with laws governing debt collection.

Best regards from Moneyguru