Swiss vested benefits account for US resident

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I will be moving to the US for my career and will become resident there. I would like to leave my pension fund savings in a Swiss vested benefits account if possible. One bank led me to believe that I will not be able to hold a Swiss vested benefits account if I reside in the US. If that correct? Are there any alternatives?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

Each Swiss bank has its own criteria for accepting customers. Banks may place certain restrictions or charge special non-resident fees for customers living outside of Switzerland. Some Swiss banks will reject or even terminate relationships with customer who live in the United States of America.

According to a survey of Swiss banks conducted by moneyland.ch in October 2015, a number of Swiss banks accept U.S. residents as customers. These include Bank Coop, the Basler Kantonalbank, the Berner Kantonalbank, Credit Suisse, the Luzerner Kantonalbank, Migros Bank, PostFinance (only Swiss citizens), UBS, and Valiant. Bear in mind that some banks may have changed their policies since October 2015.

Important: Some Swiss banks - including UBS and Credit Suisse - do not charge extra, non-resident fees when your banking relationship is limited to a retirement account (like a vested benefits account).

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss vested benefits account comparison
3a retirement account comparison