Unemployment money after returning to Switzerland from EU country

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi all. After living in Ibiza for three years, I have decided to return to Switzerland. I hope to a find a job soon, but realistically I will probably be unemployed for at least a few months. How do I go about getting unemployment benefits in Switzerland after my move?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Because Spain is a member country of the European Union (EU), you cannot apply for Swiss unemployment benefits upon moving to Switzerland. As a rule, if you have been employed in an EU or EFTA member country and then terminate your employment for any reason (due to a move, for example), you must apply for unemployment benefits in the country in which you were employed.

On the other hand, if you were employed in a non-EU/EFTA country, you can apply for Swiss unemployment benefits within 1 year of returning to Switzerland. The key requirements are that you lived in a non-EU/EFTA country for at least 12 months and were employed in that country for at least 12 months within the past 2 years. You must provide a statement from your foreign employer which clearly states the length of your employment period.