UPC Cablecom customer reviews

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameCustomer Reviews
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit2/10/17
  • Beiträge492

Are you a current or former customer of UPC Cablecom in Switzerland? How would you describe your customer experience? Are you satisfied with the services provided? Would you recommend UPC Cablecom services to other telco users?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

You can easily compare TV plans, broadband plans, mobile plans and landline plans from UPC to those offered by other Swiss telecom service providers using the unbiased telecom comparisons on moneyland.ch.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have some questions about my Internet connection and found out that I can get expert advice here. Thanks in advance for that.

My situation: I own my own house and am currently using UPC for my Internet connection. When I asked about changing Internet service providers, I was told that it wasn’t possible because only UPC’s network is available. That means I can only use UPC products.

I found that strange, because our neighbor uses Sunrise. Right now, I have 500Mbps/50Mbps Internet and pay 55 francs a month because I get a 30% discount. On top of that I pay 39.90 per month for the UPC cable connection. So, in total I pay 95 francs per month for Internet, which is way too much in my opinion.

Now I’d like to find out whether changing telecom services would make sense. I need fast Internet (min. 200Mbps) and a landline phone connection. I don’t need a TV plan.
Here are my questions:

1. Is it true that I can only use UPC plans because I only have a UPC connection?

2. Can I change the connection (to Teleboy, Wingo, init7, for example) and if so, how does that work? How do Internet connections from those ISPs work? Do they also charge a cable connection fee?

3. Which Internet plan makes sense based on my needs?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Answers
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit2/22/18
  • Beiträge103

You can use the telephone line instead of the UPC cable connection. The phone line should give you connection speeds of up to 450 Mbps for downloads and 100 Mbps for uploads.

There are generally plenty of Internet plans available via phone line. You can find the ones available at your address with the broadband Internet plan comparison here on moneyland.ch.

If you switch to a phoneline-based service, you can cancel your cable connection and stop paying the cable connection fee.

If you use the Connect plan from UPC, you shouldn’t be charged the separate cable connection fee anymore.

I’ll answer your questions here:

1. If UPC told you that no other networks are available, that is not correct. The telephone network is available and you can connect to the Internet through the phone line (at least I would be very surprised if your house wasn’t connected to a phone line).

2. If you have a phone line connection, you can choose any broadband Internet service which makes use of Swisscom’s copper phone line network. You do not pay a separate fee for the phone line connection. 

3. Which plan makes sense depends on the Internet speeds you need. As I said above, you will get a maximum of 450/100 Mbps with a copper phone line in the best case. That may be perfectly sufficient or completely inadequate, depending on what you use the Internet for and how many people share your connection.

I hope this helps

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have a plan (the HD Cable Plus Combi) in which the cable connection fee is charged separately.

Thanks for the long explanation you gave. I see things a bit more clearly now.

We are a 5-person household and use the Internet a lot – mostly for 4K video streaming and for gaming. But I would use a Teleboy or Zattoo TV plan instead.

Which Ineternet service and plan would you recommend, and how fast should the Internet speed be? Does UPC offer advantages over other services?

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Answers
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit2/22/18
  • Beiträge103

Based on your setup, I’d recommend a plan with a speed of at least 200 Mbps. I recommend you look at the prices and options for plans with that speed using the broadband Internet plan comparison.