Using a foreign drivers license in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Do I have to convert my drivers license to a Swiss drivers license after I move to Switzerland or can I use my original drivers license in Switzerland?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

You are allowed to use your foreign drivers licenses in Switzerland for 12 months from the time you take up residence in Switzerland. After those 12 months, you will only be able to drive in Switzerland using a Swiss drivers license.

You can obtain a Swiss license from the traffic office by providing your foreign drivers license and proof of residence in Switzerland.

While holders of drivers licenses from many countries (including most European countries) can obtain a Swiss license without further testing, those who obtained drivers licenses in many other countries (including most Asian and African countries) must pass a basic driving examination in order to obtain a Swiss drivers license and be able to continue driving in Switzerland.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Saving tips for car owners in Switzerland
Savings tips for cheaper car rentals in Switzerland
Car leasing in Switzerland: The pros and cons explained