What are Miles & More airline miles worth?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am considering joining the Miles & More frequent flyer club from SWISS to get miles points when I fly with them. My question is, how much are the miles I earn worth?

I normally fly twice per year, and always to destinations within the European continent (500 to 1500 kilometers per flight). How long would it take me to earn a free flight? Is it even worth bothering with this program?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

When you fly economy class between destinations in Europe on SWISS, you earn between 125 and 1250 Miles & More miles - depending on the destination. Business class flights between European airports earn 750 to 2000 miles.

A "Fly Smart" award return flight between European airports can be gotten for 20,000 miles. Fly Smart flights can only be booked online and must be booked at least 2 days in advance. So in the best case you can earn a complimentary flight after every 10 paid business class flights and in the worst case it will take you 160 paid economy flights to earn enough miles for an award flight.

It is worth noting that you can also earn miles by using Miles & More credit cards to pay for purchases. Depending on which credit card you use, you can earn between 0.3 and 1.2 miles per 1 Swiss franc of purchases charged.

You can compare airline credit cards by selecting "Frequent flyer miles" under "Reward programs" in the interactive credit card comparison on moneyland.ch.

Best regards from Moneyguru