What costs are covered by additional charges for Swiss rented home?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I pay around 300 francs of "nebenkosten" on top of the rent on my flat. I am still not sure exactly which costs are covered by those 300 francs. Any enlightenment?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

The exact costs which are included in the supplemental charge for rental homes varies from property to property and between landlords. Charges whichare typically covered by the supplementary charge include the cost of heating, hot water, electricity used in shared areas (like laundry rooms), caretaker salaries, cleaning services, gardening services, snow-clearing, garbage, cable TV, phone lines, water and waste water.

In some cases, only some of the above-mentioned costs are covered by the supplementary charge you pay in addition to your rent. You may be billed for some of these separately. For example, the cost of heating is often billed separately. You may be able to reduce the supplementary charge by having unnecessary services like cable TV or phone lines suspended.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
8 Ways to Up Your Chances of Being Approved for a Home Rental in Switzerland
Subletting Your Rental Home in Switzerland: 10 Guidelines