Who pays social security contributions for people on welfare?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

The coverage term of my unemployment insurance is running out and I have not yet been able to find a new job. Most likely I will need to go on welfare while I continue job hunting. I am wondering how my Swiss social security contributions will be covered when I am on welfare. So far I have no gaps in my old age pension, and would like to keep it that way. Does the social services office cover my AHV contributions? If not, can I pay these myself?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

When you receive welfare and are otherwise unemployed, you are still eligible to make the minimum annual social security payment to avoid gaps in your pension. However, you do not have to pay your social security bill yourself. Simply pass it on to the welfare office. The cost will be covered by your municipality or canton of residence.