Widower’s pension in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have heard of a widow’s pension which women receive if their husband dies. Is there a similar pension for men? Would I receive a pension if my wife were to die?

My wife is the main breadwinner in our family, and my own income would not cover our cost of living.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Unlike women, men cannot receive a permanent survivor’s pension after the death of their spouse. A widower’s pension is only paid out if you have one or more children who are younger than 18 years old.

The pension is equal to 80% of the old-age pension which your wife is entitled to.

You only receive the pension until the child’s eighteenth birthday, after which you will no longer receive a widower’s pension.

If you do not have any children below the age of 18 at the time of your wife’s passing, you will not receive a widower’s rent at all.