1st Pillar (OASI)

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamecsaravari
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit10/16/23
  • Beiträge6

I am retired and planned to move to Belgium next year.  As far as I know the Swiss Compensation Office in Geneva will continue paying my 1st Pillar.

Where do I pay tax on my 1st pillar, in Switzerland or in Belgium?

• Benutzernameharold
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge58

After you become a resident of Belgium, your income will be taxable in Belgium. That applies to your OASI pension as well. That income will only be taxable in Belgium.

Only a few kinds of income are taxable in Switzerland when you live in a different country, and these are generally all related to owning property in Switzerland (capital gains on the sale of Swiss property, income from renting out Swiss property, etc.).

• Benutzernamecsaravari
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit10/16/23
  • Beiträge6

Dear Harold,

Thank you very much for your information.

Will the tax rate be different for foreign pension?

The normal income tax in Belgium is very high , from 25% up to 50%. frown.

Thank you in advance for your information.

• Benutzernameharold
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge58

To my knowledge, the double-taxation agreements between Switzerland and Belgium do not give Switzerland the right to tax Swiss pensions. Resultingly, Swiss pensions would be taxable in Belgium only.

I cannot really speak to the tax system in Belgium because I do not know it well. It is possible that there may be a special tax rate for a Swiss OASI pension, but I am not aware of any.