Can an insurance company deny alternative medicine insurance if you have used alternative medicine in the past?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi,

I am with Groupe Mutuel, but when I requested a supplemental package in my policy in order to use alternative medicine, this was denied. I asked them why it was denied, and they told me that it was denied because I stated in the document that I had used alternative medicine treatment that year.

Apparently its the case that if you have used or need alternative treatment, then you can not get the supplement, where a percentage of the costs are covered. I told them then that I would need to cancel the insurance, because I am interested in receiving alternative medicine treatment, and they told me that this goes for all the insurance companies in Switzerland.

I was wondering if this is true? Are you aware of the fact that it is not possible in Switzerland to get the insurance for alternative treatment, if you have had a treatment in the last years, or are planning to get it? Or are there insurance companies in Switzerland that offer the supplement for alternative treatments without looking at your medical history or if you need it or not? I hope that you have some information on this matter... Hope to hear from you.

Kind regards

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

Whether or not previous treatment received will lead to health insurance applications being rejected depends on how this affects risk assessments. If the types of treatment you have received indicate that you have existing illnesses or that you are prone to illness, you may find it difficult to obtain non-compulsory health insurance.

Each insurer is free to accept or deny applications for non-compulsory health insurance as they see fit, and each follows its own set of criteria. This also means that there is a chance of your being accepted for a similar policy from another insurance provider. It is worth noting that you are free to obtain your compulsory and non-compulsory health insurance from different providers.

You can use the moneyland.ch supplementary health insurance comparison to find all non-compulsory insurance policies which provide coverage for alternative medicine. Just select the "Alternative medicine" filter and sort options to find the best policies.

What many people do not know is that basic, compulsory Swiss health insurance policies cover certain alternative treatments. Acupuncture, traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) pharmacotherapy, medical classical homoeopathy, anthroposophical medicine and phytotherapy are covered by compulsory health insurance when administered by a physician who holds a federally recognised continuing education degree in their respective discipline.

You can find out more about in our guide to Swiss health insurance for alternative and complementary medicine.

Best regards from Moneyguru