Are lost apartment keys covered by Swiss household and liability insurance?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi forum,

I lost the key to my apartment. Can I get my Swiss household and liability insurance to cover the costs?

Thanks

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Because the loss of an important key is automatically associated with gross negligence, you will have to pay for the replacement of the key out of your own pocket. If the key is stolen, on the other hand, you can claim coverage from your household insurance provider (insurance for "simple theft away from home" is needed if the key was stolen outside of your home).

Whether or not you also have to pay for the replacement of locks depends on the circumstances.

If there is any reason to believe that the lost key may be used to enter the building (if an address was attached, for example) you could be liable to pay for new locks as well. If a single "Swiss key" opens both the main door of your apartment building and the door of your apartment itself, you could be liable to replace all associated locks.

The amount you can be expected to pay to replace the existing locks depends on their age. The household value index published by the Swiss homeowners association lists a 30-year lifespan for locks. If, for example, 20 years have passed since locks were last replaced, you only have to cover one-third of the cost of replacing those locks.

If you are required to contribute towards the cost of replacing locks, you can file a claim to your personal liability insurance provider. Depending on the exact cirumstances and on the policy you hold, the costs may be covered by your insurance provider. The insurance company can also act as a mediator to protect you from ungrounded demands by landlords.

Best regards from Moneyguru